Tuesday, December 16, 2008

End of an Era

I will be the first to admit that I have a lot to do with the downfall of Mervyn's. Before this past Sunday, I had not shopped there in years. Apparently, no one had! It's still sad though. 

It was in 1984 that this company gave me my first Credit Card - ever. I was sixteen years old. I don't know if that was good or bad, as I went on to totally screw my credit for a while. I guess in the long run, they had something to do with me finally learning to manage my money.

I can't say that I will miss them. How can I? Like I said, I hadn't been there for years. This economy is sad, yet, I can't help but think that the company has done it to them self. Why?, you ask. Well, I stopped shopping there because in the 90's, I no longer wanted to wear the same clothes I wore in the 80's and it seemed to me that Mervyn's had become very out dated. I was actually surprised that I found any clothes at all this past Sunday. Maybe they had changed! 

It goes to show, that in order to keep going in this day and age, a company, ANY company, needs to change with the times. 2008 is very different from 1998, 1988 and 1978. 

I hope that other's can learn from this store's mistakes. Our country can't afford to be one big Wal-Mart. We need diversity in our retail industry. So, just like Mervyn's had a hand in shaping my financial future, I hope others can learn from them as well. Just like I had to make changes in my financial attitude in order to survive, so will many of our nationwide retailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment